Excerpt from Rob Hunter, Editor of Ceramics in America-
This circa 1640 Portuguese majolica dishware recovered from property on the Hampton River believed to have been part of the glebe lands set aside for clergy members assigned to the Kecoughtan Parrish. Excavations conducted by archaeologists from Colonial Williamsburg uncovered a complex of several post in ground building, one having a rare, tile-floored, brick-lined cellar and which had been occupied from 1630s to about 1660. The ceramic assemblage was rich and diverse with tin-enameled products from England, Spain, Portugal, and the Netherlands. The partially complete dish was one of nine different Portuguese vessels found at the site.
Related Posts Featured on American Artifacts
Click Photo for Link